Experimenting with shrink plastic…

While my brain resets itself in time for Gen Con and I accumulate an impressive number of Gothic brooches for my work cardigans, I stumbled onto some fun tutorials for shrink plastic pins and decided to do a couple test runs.

Grafix 8 x 10 shrink plastic
Ultra fine point Sharpie pen
Permanent markers
Silhouette Designs #5525 “Photo Viewer”
Various shapes
20mm brooch bar pins
Liquid Fusion urethane adhesive
3M gel super glue
Mod Podge Dimensional Magic resin
White acrylic paint
Testors micro sponge brushes
Scissors

The silhouette for the photo viewer was a Google images find that made me smile and brought back some lovely memories. It was also fairly large and symmetrical and would give me a good example of the size ratio between design and finished product. I used the ultra fine point to outline the design on the plastic and them filled the body in with the Jot black and red permanent markers.

Based on recommendations from other crafts, I started with a temperature of 325 degrees Fahrenheit in the oven, parchment paper for the tray I used, one to two minutes for the design to shrink and flatten out. I left a bit of an outline around the shape of the design which, unfortunately, wasn’t quite as circular. So the end product came out a bit squashed and egg-like more than disc-like. Lesson learned.

The Jot permanent markers worked for the price ($1.00 from Dollar Tree), but for versatility and ink quality, the Sharpies were better.

For the next designs, I ended up using the shape tools from Microsoft Office to pick new outlines to try. For test two, I decided to a series of three heart-shaped pins in the colors of the bisexual pride flag (obviously).


For the hearts, I cut much closer to the outline of the design which allowed them to retain their shape. I also increased the temperature on the oven to 350 degrees, used foil to cover the bake pan instead of parchment paper, and left them in for three to four minutes instead of one to two.

Much better shape and the finished shapes flattened out a lot easier when I took them out of the oven.

Because the marker on top was still vulnerable to scratches, I used the Mod Podge Dimensional Magic sealer for the top. And because the plastic was translucent enough to reveal the jewelry findings, I used a micro-sponge brush (Testors, often used to paint miniatures) to apply a coat of white acrylic gloss paint to the back.


Small snag with the acrylic paint I used — urethane adhesive does not stick to it. Not even after it’s been dry for several hours. In the end, I went to my local drug store and picked up some 3M gel “super” glue and that did the trick for the brooch bar pins.


So far, test run #2 looks like the winner. On to test run #3

(You thought I was kidding about the Gothic brooches, nope!)

Advertisements

~ by blackmoodcraft on July 28, 2017.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: